I think a little background information will be helpful as you read this list. I am a real person with real kids, a real husband and a real life. Not everything I do each day is healthy.
Also, I believe health happens everywhere. I don’t think health is confined to a gym or a dinner table. I think health is the accumulation of our tiny efforts and actions throughout each day, week and year. I call this health karma.
I also believe that everyone’s health journey is different. What works for me in my life won’t necessarily work for you in your life. I do think, however, there are few things that help us all along our path to better health.
My choices are the result of many life experiences and countless hours spent pouring over health literature. I make a strong effort to lead an intentional life based on the hopes I have. This is what it looked like yesterday.
Starting at 0400:
1) Drank coffee
2) Completed 15 minutes of free style tai chi aka intentional movement (note: I don’t actually know how to do tai chi)
3) Did 10 minutes of meditation with with my Headspace app
4) Fed and held my youngest daughter
5) Studied my health coach materials
6) Started a crockpot meal- venison-yam chili
7) Hugged my husband
8) Sent good morning texts to my mom and sister
9) Made plans to have a playdate with a super awesome mom I know
10) Typed the meeting minutes for the children’s book I am working on
11) Ate oatmeal with raisins, yogurt, syrup, almond milk and walnuts
12) Ate a mandarin orange
13) Brushed and flossed my teeth
14) Made and drank chai tea with honey and cashew milk
15) Sang with my daughter
16) Washed my hands no less than 20 times
17) Played pretend camping trip with my imaginative preschooler- complete with ice skating, a princess tent, and the building and climbing of Mt. McKinley
18) Ate a handful of cashews and a slice of cheese
19) Did about 10 minutes of body weight exercises when one daughter napped and the other played in her room
20) Drank 24 oz of filtered water from a glass
21) Stood a little taller when I realized I was slouching
22) Googled EDTA in an effort to determine its safety as a food additive (an ingredient in our mayo)
23) Ate a spinach salad with grapes, olive oil and vinegar, carrots, homemade ranch and cottage cheese
24) Looked on Pinterest for some recipe ideas
25) Roasted carrots and brussel sprouts for later
26) Chose to mindfully wash our dishes
27) Sang a song to my youngest that I made up, complete with a little dance
28) Took out our recycling
29) Went for a brisk 13 minute walk pushing my daughter in a stroller
30) Started reading “How to Raise a Wild Child” By Scott D. Sampson
31) Drank Yogi ginger tea with honey
32) Periodically remembered to tighten my core while moving throughout my day
33) Ate a handful of almonds
34) Walked outside and played near a frozen pond
35) Had dinner with my family
36) Went on another walk after dinner as the sky was darkening
37) Took a shower and used my non-gmo organic shampoo and body wash
38) Read books to my girls and put them to bed
40) Put on my eye cover and laid down in bed to relax
41) Took a moment to be grateful for all that I have in my life
42) Kissed my husband goodnight
43) Fell asleep by 8:15pm
So there it is, a peek inside my typical day. Not everyday looks like this. The general theme stays the same though. I do a bunch of healthy stuff, take some time to laugh, eat as much real food as I can possibly manage, do some type of movement, spend time outside, invest in my relationships and take a moment to be grateful.
What are the tiny steps in your day that are moving you toward the healthier life you want?
As always, I would love to hear from you. Message me here and I will get back to as soon as I can.
**I hope to see our health community here grow. If you like my posts, please share them on Facebook or with friends, family or anyone you know that might be interested.
***This post is dedicated to the Gluten and Dairy free Wildcat. Thanks for the inspiration and being generally awesome at life. May you have a wonderfuly fabulous journey in life and love forever and always. ❤️